I was watching a PBS show on “The Royals” and one of the surprising insights they talked about was the fact that the Royal Family is and was taught how to be interested in each person they spoke with. This created good feelings in the people and interest in the Royal Family as a whole.
That struck me as a sort of Kindness that the Royal Family found to bring about great results since their reputation is based on how well they are thought of by the people of the United Kingdom (including Scotland!). All it takes apparently is to listen intently and respond appropriately one on one to the schoolchild, farmer, blue collar worker or the banker to bring about good feelings. The Royals are then acting with Kindness which has been inbred. What an interesting concept!
How can this knowledge help attorneys in their daily lives?
- This is so simple that attorneys can start doing it immediately
- It takes no special instruction or long study program to implement it.
- Showing interest and responding appropriately to everyone the attorney comes in contact with, might will change the person’s view and liking for the attorney.
- This is an easy way of spreading Kindness on a daily basis.
- These acts will model a new behavior and hopefully spread the action to other contacts in both of your lives.
We have been talking a lot about Confidence also. Wouldn’t your confidence be raised by the fact that you were being accepted and appreciated by many more people? I think so.
So your assignment for this week is to engage a stranger and act like a Royal. Make a comment about the surroundings or about them and then listen to what they respond. Be interested in them and what they say. Finish by showing that you listen to what they said and liked them.
If you are too chicken to do this with a stranger, pick someone who you don’t regularly take an interest in and show them the courtesy and Kindness of engaging them in conversation. In some manner show that you like them for just who they are and what they have to say…….
WE CAN LEARN A LOT FROM THE ROYALS IF WE WOULD ONLY FOLLOW THIS ONE RULE!