THIS IS YOUR TARGET MARKET! WHAT NOW!
Look, everyone in your target market is smiling. That should make you happy. Now what do you say to them?
FIRST OF ALL THE DON’TS:
- Tell them how wonderful you are
- Tell them how much you have accomplished
- Tell them how much experience you have had
- Tell them specifics about other clients
- Tell them how much money you can make for them
- Tell them that you can solve all their problems
WHAT TO DO:
- Acknowledge their problem in specific terms
- Outline the gap between where they are now and where you hear they want to be
- Ask questions to get as much understanding of their needs as possible
- Listen, listen and listen some more
- Tell them you understand their problem and this is how you might be able to help
- Tell them the ways that you have solved this problem for other clients in general terms
- Ask them if they would feel comfortable in talking about how you would go about solving their problem
- Ask them if they would feel comfortable talking about what you would need from them
- Ask them if they would feel comfortable discussing the cost of the retaining you
IT’S A GOOD SIGN AT THIS POINT IF THEY ARE STILL SMILING
IF THEY ARE NOT SMILING:
- Ask them what would make them feel better right now
- Ask them if they have heard anything that bothers them
- Ask what obstacles are standing in the way of working with you to solve this problem
IF THEY ARE STILL NOT SMILING:
- Tell them it has been a pleasure talking with them
- Tell them you hope that they find a solution to their problem
- Tell them that if you can ever be of help in the future, to call you
- Tell them that you hope they find a solution even if it with another attorney because you do see they need legal help
- Wish them well
NOW LOOK BACK ON THE WHOLE CONVERSATION AND SEE WHAT YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER.
HOWEVER, IF THEY ARE STILL SMILING AS THEY SIGN THE RETAINER, TELL THEM HOW MUCH YOU APPRECIATION THEIR CONFIDENCE IN YOU AND THAT YOU WILL STRIVE TO GET THEM THE BEST POSITIVE OUTCOME TO THEIR PROBLEM.