THEY ARE SCARED AT SOME LEVEL
I know you don’t want to hear this, but there are many attorneys who don’t really want to market themselves or their firm out of pure fear. Unfortunately, solo attorneys don’t have a choice and have to market their services or be working at a severe disadvantage.
Introverts especially don’t like to feel that they are “imposing” on others. So let’s look at some of the reasons that solos may be afraid to even do a marketing plan for their firm.
- they feel their services are not worthy
- they think that they might offend someone by asking for business
- they think that they are entitled to business without having to extend themselves
- they are afraid of the time it takes to market correctly
- they don’t like to plan because then they have to try to meet goals
- they don’t buy the notion that every solo has to be a marketing guru
- they think that they don’t know how or have the skills to market
This last one leads to real trouble because frequently solos will spend big dollars to hire someone to market for them. Unfortunately, this only really works when the attorney knows how to market and exactly what he wants the outcome of the relationship with the “marketer” to be.
In other words, it is the preplanning of an entire marketing campaign that coordinates the various outlets (Linkedin, Avvo, website, blog, networking) with a targeting of your specific market that reduces the mistakes and overspending. Read my previous three blogs to get even more information.
If you are unsure how to market or your marketing is not working, it’s time to review what you are doing and to revise your marketing plan (or get one LOL). In this economic climate, the best way to do this is to not only take into consideration how you want to market, but what this diverse culture needs. Marketing to millennials is different from the people in Generation X, let alone Y.
GOT YOUR ATTENTION? HOW ABOUT IMMEDIATELY REVIEWING OR CREATING A SOLID MARKETING PLAN FOR YOUR FIRM. CALL ME IF YOU NEED HELP WITH THIS. I HAVE SUCCESSFULLY HELPED AT LEAST 100 LAWYERS WITH THIS!